As with other things that are restarting, they’ll be some restrictions on what we do and how we do it. This email will let you know the steps we’ve taken to make sure we keep everyone safe.
Firstly, anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, or who has been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms (within the last two weeks), shouldn’t come to any face-to-face activities, and should follow government guidelines on self-isolation and testing.
Secondly, young people who are shielding or are in another vulnerable group might not be able to return to face-to-face activities at this stage. If your child’s shielding or in another vulnerable group, please contact me directly so we can chat through some options.
We’re also aware some young people, including young people with additional needs, might need new or different reasonable adjustments putting in place to support a return to face-to-face Scouts – again, I’m happy to discuss this with you.
I’d also like to let you know some of the updates to our arrangements for making sure our indoor activities will be COVID-19 safe.
Arrival and departure arrangements
- Beavers – Arrive 6pm / Depart 7pm
- Cubs & Scouts – Arrive 7.15pm / Depart 8.30pm
- Drop off Outside the Front Door – Do Not enter the Hall – unless essential
- Pick up Outside the Front Door – Do Not enter the Hall
- Parents must socially distance in the grounds of the church, and wear a face mask (unless you have a medical reason not to)
Hand sanitisation, hygiene and personal protective equipment
- Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to Hand Sanitise on Entry and Exit of Hall. With hand sanitizing during meeting when appropriate, or washing of hands at toilet.
- Face coverings are not required.
Adults/Young Leaders should wear a face mask when entering the hall. The face mask can be removed, if they enter the main hall, and are socially distanced.
- The entrance must be kept clear
- Beavers, Cubs and Scouts under 12 are not required to socially distance from each other, but must socially distance from the Adults and Young Leaders
- Scouts aged 12 and over are required to socially distance from each other, the Adults and Young Leaders
- Adults and Young Leaders required to socially distance from the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and each other.
Other measures in place
- A passing system will be in operation – Entrance and exit via the main door
The Church hall has been assessed for COVID-19 and appropriate measures out in place.
- The toilets will be cleaned before and after every session.
Equipment and touched surfaces within the hall, will be cleaned after every session.
- Each section has at least 1 leader present who has First Response, which is the Scout Association’s First Aid Training. All First Aid will be undertaken using facemasks and gloves. Parents will be informed
- You can view the COVID Risk Assessment here https://www.midlothianscouts.org.uk/mayfield/covid-19-information/
- Finally, we’re required to keep a register of those attending to help with the track and trace process, we’ll do this on our existing register, via Online Scout Manager.
Richard Fairbairn (District Commissioner)