The Following Process can only be carried out by: A Group Scout Leader, District Appointments Secretary or District Commissioner.
- If an Existing PVG Member they will need to know their PVG Scheme ID. This is not held on Compass. If they do not know it they should contact Disclosure Scotland to get it. Phone: 0300 020 0040
- To avoid issues and delay, when checking ID:
- Ensure that the Online PVG ID Checking form and the COMPASS record includes any middle names
- The Date of Birth is correct on COMPASS
- The Address is correct on COMPASS
- If Compass needs updated, the quickest way to do this is on the Chat function on Scouts.org.uk by a GSL, Appointments Secretary or DC.
- Please also ensure the email address is current, and matches COMPASS.
- The email address to use for the District Appointments Secretary is email@example.com (PLEASE ENSURE THIS IS CORRECT WHEN ENTERING THE FORM)
- Once checked and approved by the Appointments Secretary, this will be submitted to UK HQ, who will take up to 1 week to then generate a link via email, for the applicant to complete within 7 days.
District Appointment Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
District Commissioner: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I know it has been processed?
You will only know that it has been processed by the Scouts, when you get a email from “disclosures via smartsheet” with the title “PVG form has been accepted by SGT….”
Once you get this, please ask the applicant to fill it in within 7 days, from a link in an email (please ask them to check spam). They will get a further reminder in 4 days, if they do not do it within 7 days the whole process will need restarted
How long does it take?
The process is speedier than the paper version, but can take up to 3 weeks. The Appointment Secretary approves them as soon possible, but we need to allow for volunteers being on holiday etc. If after 7 days you have not had an email from “disclosures via smartsheet” with the title “PVG form has been accepted by SGT….” the please do email firstname.lastname@example.org to Query if it was received, and approved.
If required the the Appointments secretary or DC can chase it up.
How long do Leaders get to complete their PVG?
New members must submit their application within 60 days. It is important that they get followed up quickly as they will only get the email ACTION REQUIRED: 7 days to submit your PVG Disclosure check, after 60 days, which is hardly any way to welcome a new Member.
If the PVG is not completed in time, the DC will be told to suspend the member, until the PVG has processed.
Existing Members get the following email reminders:
90 days, 60 days, 30 days, PVG Expired, then after 60 days with an expired PVG, ACTION REQUIRED: 7 days to submit your PVG Disclosure check
If the form is not completed in time, the DC will be told to suspend the member, until the PVG has processed
It is important to note that members should have their PVG done in plenty of time, you should not assume that the Appointment Secretary or DC will be available when its been left with only 7 Days left to Submit the PVG Application.