Make a difference by getting involved in our Executive Committee
Midlothian Scouts does not have a key member of our Executive Committee – a District Secretary and we really need willing volunteer to become a member. Please join our leadership team. We need new volunteers to function AND make a difference at the ‘business end’ of our Scout District.
Please email us to find out more at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Executive Committee plays a vital role in the running of the Midlothian Scout District. The Executive Committee makes decisions and carries out administrative tasks to ensure that the resources are available so that the best quality Scouting can be delivered locally across our Groups.
You will play a key role by leading the administrative work for Midlothian Scouts. No previous secretarial experience is needed, we just need someone who is good at admin and keeping records.
Joining our Executive Committee is an exciting way to be part of Scouts in a non-uniformed role, playing a valuable role in making sure we deliver the best experiences to our young people.
Midlothian Scouts need a new District Secretary:
Click to read the full role description – Secretary
- Do you have good administration skills?
- Would you prefer to support more ‘behind the scenes’?
- Are you an organised person?
- Can you help keep our records in order?
The District Executive Committee:
Our Executive Committee is made up of people who shape our decisions, approve our strategy, and monitor our performance.
Though ‘Executive’ sounds a bit formal, it is not like that at all! We are a relaxed group of like-minded individuals! This role is ideal for anyone who does not necessarily wish to work directly with young people but would like to help to support and develop Scouting for a couple of hours or so a month.
As you know, Scouts is both a young person and adult experience – making friends, trying something new, doing something good for both your community and yourself and importantly making memories. It’s adventurous and rewarding. This Scouting adventure is only possible thanks to our superstar volunteers – ordinary people, like YOU, making an extraordinary difference to young people’s lives.
Read about some of our other superstar volunteers:
Click here to read some existing volunteer stories and experiences from Beaver and Cub Leaders to Executive members. https://sesscouts.org.uk/volunteer-stories/ especially some of our other Executive members from the region.
This is your chance to be extraordinary and help in a flexible way! Joining our committee is not as posh as it sounds but we do like to have fun.
- Minimal commitment – only a couple of hours a month
- Flexible volunteering to fit around you – your skills/interests/time
- Alongside like-minded people – we’re easy to get on with
- Great fun – it sounds formal, but it isn’t!
- Make a difference – get that ‘feel good factor’
As a District Secretary, you will help keep our records in order. Generally, the Executive Committee exists to support the District Commissioner in meeting the responsibilities of their appointment.
- Members of the Executive Committee must act collectively as charity trustees of the Scout Group, and in the best interests of its members to:
- Comply with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
- Protect and maintain any property and equipment owned by and/or used by the District.
- Manage the District finances.
- Provide insurance for people, property, and equipment.
- Provide sufficient resources for Scouting to operate. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting recruitment, other adult support, and fundraising activities.
- Promote and support the development of Scouting in the local area.
- Manage and implement the Safety Policy locally.
- Ensure that a positive image of Scouting exists in the local community.
- Appoint and manage the operation of any sub-Committees, including appointing a Chair to lead the sub-Committees.
- Ensure that Young People are meaningfully involved in decision making at all levels within the District.
This is an exciting time for Midlothian Scouts. As a District Secretary and a member of the Executive Committee, you can play an essential part, be impactful and make a difference! This is flexible volunteering to fit around you.
Would you like to have an informal conversation? Please reach out to Richard Fairbairn, District Commissioner – email@example.com, for a chat. Feel free to nominate someone and/or share this with your network. Please.
Why not read our Trustee Information Pack HERE.
Please don’t assume someone else will step up, really, we need your help please.